[zeromq-dev] zeromq performance

Paul Phillips paul at marketgridsystems.com
Sat Jun 7 10:25:24 CEST 2014

Hi Peter,

We have looked at this in some detail.  It is definitely not startup cost, we have tried with 1,000  10,000  100,000  1,000,000  records (and more) and the results are completely consistent.

Basically, running the test on its own gives a throughput of about 15,000 messages per second (latency around 66 micros).  However, running a first set of local+remote that keeps running in the background, then running subsequent sets yields throughputs of about 60,000 messages per second (latency around 15 micros).  This is quite consistent, no matter how many messages are involved (the messages are all 100 bytes).

I think it may have something to do with what goes on when the recv blocks, but I can’t see how the additional instances of the programs running make a difference.

Regards, Paul Phillips
Director, MarketGrid Systems Pty Ltd
t: +61 419 048 874
e: paul at marketgridsystems.com