[zeromq-dev] RFC: finer control of socket type / behaviour

Goswin von Brederlow goswin-v-b at web.de
Mon Jun 2 11:19:22 CEST 2014

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 10:07:38AM +0200, Pieter Hintjens wrote:
> This has been mooted before and I think it's a good idea in some ways.
> Certainly to allow experimentation. However the current patterns do
> kind of cover the sane use cases. It's hard to see what the point
> would be, for instance, of blocking in a ROUTER socket when you can't
> send a message. There's no real sense to that.
>
> If you want to experiment with this, you can build custom socket types
> on top of ZMQ_ROUTER and virtualize them, e.g. like the CZMQ zactor
> model. Then if you get patterns that work well you've got arguments
> for pushing this into libzmq.
>
> -Pieter

Except I can't change the "Action in mute state" frop "Drop" to
"Block" or "EAGAIN". That means that messages get silently lost when
one sends to fast or there is a temporary hickup in the network
connection. E.g. when I reset a switch in the network I want messages
to block till the switch is back.

MfG
	Goswin