[zeromq-dev] pyczmq and ctx.set_linger()

Greg Ward greg at gerg.ca
Fri Jan 17 15:34:29 CET 2014

On 17 January 2014, Pieter Hintjens said:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 9:01 PM, Michel Pelletier
> <pelletier.michel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes, pyczmq is very much a literal 1 to 1 wrapper around the czmq C
> > interface.
> >
> > Note that there is also an "object oriented" interface:
>
> CZMQ was designed to allow an OO interface on top; it may not succeed
> in all classes. Where it's possible I'd probably not expose the 1-1
> wrapper at all, and only provide the proper OO interface. (Less
> confusing for users, maybe?)

Having played around with pyczmq a little bit for a few hours, I'm
starting to wonder if that's really the right way to wrap CZMQ. My two
concerns are 1) import-time overhead and 2) the C-style interface (not
OO, un-Pythonic).

I note that pyzmq already solves both of these problems: it's much
faster to import than pyczmq, and it exposes a nice Pythonic interface
to the 0mq core API.

Would it make sense for pyzmq to wrap CZMQ as well?

       Greg