[zeromq-dev] zmq in C++ application

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Fri Jan 17 09:29:48 CET 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Lindley French <lindleyf at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are two C++ bindings: cppzmq and zmqpp.
>
> cppzmq is a *very* thin binding over libzmq. It's a better alternative to
> using libzmq directly, but it doesn't offer very much syntactic sugar.
>
> zmqpp is a higher-level C++ binding, and I like it a bit better. Some people
> claim it's slightly slower, but I haven't noticed if so.

I'd suggest merging these two. cppzmq is currently just a header file
and it can be continued as-is within a more sophisticated project,
taking zmqpp, renaming / moving that into cppzmq, and then extending
with some of the goodies we seem to need in a "real" binding, like
authentication handlers, certificates, beaconing, etc.  Perhaps even
building on CZMQ where it's profitable.

This would also let you change/redesign the socket API, freezing the
existing zmqpp project.