[zeromq-dev] Linking of libzmq (git HEAD) fails under Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks, ld: unknown option: --version-script=libzmq.vers

Mathias Hablützel habl at zhaw.ch
Mon Jan 13 17:53:10 CET 2014

Hi everyone,

Hit this little problem:

> $ make all
> Making all in src
> /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make  all-am
>   CXX      libzmq_la-address.lo
>   CXX      libzmq_la-clock.lo
>
> [snip]
>
>   CXX      libzmq_la-tipc_listener.lo
>   CXX      libzmq_la-tipc_connecter.lo
>   CXXLD    libzmq.la
> ld: unknown option: --version-script=libzmq.vers
> clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
> make[2]: *** [libzmq.la] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Then I added in the Makefile manually the -v switch for LDFLAGS and ran
it again:

> $ make all
> Making all in src
> /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make  all-am
>   CXXLD    libzmq.la
> ld: unknown option: --version-script=libzmq.vers
> clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
> make[2]: *** [libzmq.la] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

So I double checked if my linker is kind of outdated:

> $ /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/ld -v
> @(#)PROGRAM:ld  PROJECT:ld64-224.1
> configured to support archs: armv6 armv7 armv7s arm64 i386 x86_64 armv6m armv7m armv7em
> LTO support using: LLVM version 3.3svn, from Apple Clang 5.0 (build 500.2.79)
> $ ld -v
> @(#)PROGRAM:ld  PROJECT:ld64-136
> configured to support archs: i386 x86_64 armv7 armv7s
> LTO support using: LLVM version 3.3

Since I doubt that between a less new and a newer patch-release a
option is lost I can only assume that I overlooked something else. And
yes, I was able to build libzmq beforehand (IIRC it was the 4.0.1
version).

Any pointer where to search further?