[zeromq-dev] How do we activate and connect to WiFi hotspots in edgenets?

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Thu Jan 9 13:27:13 CET 2014

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 12:19 PM, Bruno D. Rodrigues
<bruno.rodrigues at litux.org> wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2014, at 10:52, Bjorn Reese <breese at mail1.stofanet.dk> wrote:

>> If you are talking about wireless isolation, then they only block
>> multicasting. This means that you cannot discover other devices, but
>> if you happen to know their IP than you can communcate with them.
>
> I think Pieter was quite clear with his sentence, and explains with much more detail on the book.

>From testing, it varies. On some hotspots, UDP broadcast and/or
multicast is blocked. On other hotspots, client to client access is
blocked, even if you know the IP address. One test case is bulk
connecting, i.e. issue zmq_connect () to every other IP address on the
block. That fails on perhaps 20-50% of hotspots, even in offices.

It's a bit of a mess. Since we're not in control of the hardware we
cannot be very ambitious. Hence my preference for the smartphone
hotspot.