[zeromq-dev] Authentication with curve

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Wed Jan 1 15:18:37 CET 2014

On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 1:12 PM, Drew Crawford <drew at sealedabstract.com> wrote:

>> 2. we publish all ZAP replies to a secondary inproc:// socket (PUB-SUB)
>
> This also seems curious.  I’m wondering if you’re envisioning a more complicated ZAP handler in some faraway module as “typical” than the one I plan on writing.  Basically my entire interest in ZAP is in using it to solve this “who is sending me / are they allowed to send me this message” problem.  If ZAP isn’t the right way to do that, it’s probably worth me learning what ZAP is actually for, as that means my mental model isn’t right.

Maybe it's curious, yes. I'm thinking the ZAP handler has all the
information we need to correlate client IDs (the first frame on the
ROUTER message) with metadata and can provide this to apps in some
way.

Either it's via libzmq, or it's via another inproc:// path to apps.
There are a few plausible patterns for that.

Passing the client ID back out in replies is probably silly, yes.