[zeromq-dev] Increasing transparently ZMQ performance up to 2400%

Guillermo Lopez Taboada guillermo.lopez.taboada at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 18:37:02 CET 2014

Hi Pieter,

Our sockets have intra-server latencies (RTT/2 from process to process) as
low as 230 nanoseconds and inter-servers as low as 1.1 microsecond. This
makes any socket-based communication-intensive run very very fast. The
response time and the scalability can improve significantly so we can
alleviate virtually any communication bottleneck.

BTW, some people suggested we should include IPC in our tests. We have not
included IPC as the performance compared to TCP loopback is quite similar,
but, if you do not agree with that and see benefits of using IPC, then
congratulations, UFS is for you!

Results of a test. For local_lat & remote_lat with 128 bytes we have seen

TPC loopback:  average latency: 14.295 [us]

IPC: average latency: 12.628 [us]

UFS smdev: average latency: 4.570 [us]

Regards,

Guillermo

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 3:21 PM, Pieter Hintjens <ph at imatix.com> wrote:

> Guillermo,
>
> It's a very nice technical demo. Are there other problems such as the
> infamous 10 million connections that you also solve?
>
> -Pieter
>
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 2:14 AM, Guillermo Lopez Taboada
> <guillermo.lopez.taboada at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Just let me complete my last message with regards to some questions that
> > came out of the list:
> >
> > 1) We are accelerating ZeroMQ by using a high performance socket library
> in
> > user land, UFS, instead of relying on the OS for TCP/IP. UFS is not a
> > replacement of ZeroMQ, is an add-on, a plug-in for any socket-based
> > application. The way it works is as a preloadable library.
> >
> > 2) The usage is pretty simple, running a performance test on a server:
> >
> > # ZeroMQ over TCP loopback:
> > $  ./local_lat tcp://127.0.0.1:5555 1 100000  &
> > $  ./remote_lat tcp://127.0.0.1:5555 1 100000
> > message size: 1 [B]
> > roundtrip count: 100000
> > average latency: 14.041 [us]
> >

> > # ZeroMQ over UFS (application transparent):
> > $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$UFS_HOME/lib64 LD_PRELOAD=$UFS_HOME/lib64/libufs.so
> > ./local_lat tcp://127.0.0.1:5555 1 100000 &
> > $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$UFS_HOME/lib64 LD_PRELOAD=$UFS_HOME/lib64/libufs.so
> > ./remote_lat tcp://127.0.0.1:5555 1 100000
> > message size: 1 [B]
> > roundtrip count: 100000
> > average latency: 4.830 [us]
> >
> > 3) Free demos of the software are available by request at
> info at torusware.com
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Guillermo
> >

> > On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 11:06 PM, Guillermo Lopez Taboada
> > <guillermo.lopez.taboada at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>

> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> Up to 24x performance increase is the outcome of our latest PoC for a
> >> major investment bank.
> >>
> >> The details are here:
> >> http://torusware.com/increase-zeromq-performance-by-up-to-2400/
> >>
> >> Let us know if you want to put your servers at full speed.
> >

> > --
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Guillermo
> > ---
> > Guillermo Lopez Taboada
> > Torus Software Solutions, CEO
> > Email:  guillermo.lopez at torusware.com
> > Phone: +34-657-662-998
> > WWW: http://www.torusware.com
> >
> > DISCLAIMER:
> > This message is intended exclusively for its addressee and may contain
> > information that is CONFIDENTIAL and protected by professional
> privilege. If
> > you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any
> > dissemination, copy or disclosure of this communication is strictly
> > prohibited by law. If this message has been received in error, please
> > immediately notify us via e-mail and delete it. Thank you.

Best regards,

Guillermo
---