[zeromq-dev] Need 100K+ IPC sockets

Matt Connolly matt.connolly at me.com
Thu Feb 27 00:52:45 CET 2014

On 26 Feb 2014, at 7:16 am, Ivan Pechorin <ivan.pechorin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I suspect you can't create more than 64K of ZeroMQ sockets on a single non-Linux box just because every ZeroMQ socket has a socketpair, which occupies one ephemeral port. Total number ports is limited to 64K on any single box.
>
> On Linux ZeroMQ uses eventfd instead of socketpair, so this limit is not applicable.

You may be right, but from what I can see in the socketpair man pages, it’s just a pipe, and not bound to a particular IP network, so there may not be any 16-bit port number limitation. It looks to me like the only limits are those on the number of open files in the process and also in the system.

-Matt