[zeromq-dev] rfc <-> versions?

Heinrich Hartmann derhein at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 20:44:55 CET 2014

Dear Scott,

I'm also a new, but let me try to answer your questions 1 and 2.
@Experts: please correct me if I am wrong.

1) The implemented wire level protocols are a bit scattered
    between the the release notes [1] and the rfc's:

    ZMQ/2.x implements ZMTP/1.0 cf. rfc (spec:13)
    ZMQ/3.0.x implementes ??? 2.0 ??? ([1] "There is a new wire format for
the REQ/REP pattern." => it is not ZMTP/1.0)
    ZMQ/3.1.x implements ZMTP/1.0 again! (cf. [1] "The 0MQ 3.1 wire format
is identical to that of 0MQ 2.1.")
    ZMQ/4.x    implements ZMTP/3.0 (cf. [1] "New wire level protocol,
ZMTP/3.0")

2) There are no guarantees. API contracts can and do change, even in minor
versions:
    * ZMQ4.0 and ZMQ4.1 have different API documentations:
http://api.zeromq.org/
    * Semantic versioning is explicitly not required in the community
contract http://rfc.zeromq.org/spec:22
    However, the API has been quiet stable since 3.2.x (cf. [1]) and in
practice I have never run into any problems.

[1] https://raw.github.com/zeromq/libzmq/master/NEWS

Best regards,
Heinrich

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 6:30 PM, Scott Lewis <scottslewis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm a newbie to zeromq, although have a lot of past experience with
> messaging APIs.
>
> I've found rfc.zeromq.org...with the specifications...but I have a
> couple of questions.   If this info exists somewhere, please just point
> me in the right direction.
>
> 1) Which specifications are implemented by which version of zeromq?
> (e.g.  3 implements x, 4 implements x + y, next release implements z, etc)
> 2) Does the zeromq versioning mean something in terms of API
> guarantees?...i.e. if I use the api documented for 3, will I need to
> change to move to (e.g.) 4?  If there are rules here, do the bindings
> follow them as well?
> 3) For the various bindings...how do I tell which version of zeromq they
> require/support?   I've looked for and not seen this info on the java
> binding...and maybe it's clearly presented somewhere on other bindings,
> but I couldn't find it here [1].
>
> Thanksinadvance,
>
> Scott
>
> [1] http://zeromq.org/bindings:java