[zeromq-dev] rfc <-> versions?

Scott Lewis scottslewis at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 18:30:06 CET 2014

Greetings,

I'm a newbie to zeromq, although have a lot of past experience with
messaging APIs.

I've found rfc.zeromq.org...with the specifications...but I have a
couple of questions.   If this info exists somewhere, please just point
me in the right direction.

1) Which specifications are implemented by which version of zeromq?
(e.g.  3 implements x, 4 implements x + y, next release implements z, etc)
2) Does the zeromq versioning mean something in terms of API
guarantees?...i.e. if I use the api documented for 3, will I need to
change to move to (e.g.) 4?  If there are rules here, do the bindings
follow them as well?
3) For the various bindings...how do I tell which version of zeromq they
require/support?   I've looked for and not seen this info on the java
binding...and maybe it's clearly presented somewhere on other bindings,
but I couldn't find it here [1].

Thanksinadvance,

Scott

[1] http://zeromq.org/bindings:java