[zeromq-dev] Error 156384763: Operation cannot be accomplished in current state

Randall Nortman rnzmq at wonderclown.net
Mon Feb 17 16:33:55 CET 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 04:27:15PM +0100, Pieter Hintjens wrote:

> - don't use REQ/REP sockets, use DEALER/ROUTER instead

This brings up a question that has occurred to me, after reading
through the guide and following this mailing list for a while.  Is
there any legitimate use case for REQ/REP other than has a stepping
stone for teaching people how to write distributed zeromq applications
by first showing them how not to do it?  Presumably it was once upon a
time considered a good idea in the early implementations of the
protocol, but I hardly ever see anybody recommending it now that
XREQ/XREP (er, excuse me, DEALER/ROUTER) exists.  Should REQ/REP be
deprecated?

Randall