[zeromq-dev] Poller choice in configure or poller.hpp

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Fri Feb 14 13:01:32 CET 2014

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 11:38 AM, Olaf Mandel <o.mandel at menlosystems.com> wrote:

> Now my first question: is this particular example (Cygwin and poll) a
> bug and where? ZMQ_USE_POLL works for me up to a 1021 sockets, while
> ZMQ_USE_SELECT works only up to 28 (!) sockets. What is the "correct"
> default for Cygwin?

When poll() is available it generally works better than select(). It's
rather surprising that select() only handles 28 sockets.

> And my second question: is there a need and way to make the potential
> ambiguity clearer?

Sounds like cleaning this up would be beneficial. Two mechanisms to do
the same work feels bogus. Either poller.hpp should choose, or
configure should choose. I think the FORCE macros were originally
meant as a manual override; they've then been abused for Cygwin, and
perhaps elsewhere.