[zeromq-dev] ROUTER not routing?

Justin Karneges justin at affinix.com
Fri Feb 7 23:16:23 CET 2014

It is my understanding that being able to route requires the socket to
have an identity mapping in its routing table for the peer.

For peers that do not explicitly specify their own identity, then I
believe you are correct that routing is not possible until at least one
message has been received from the peer. It is at this point that the
ROUTER socket will make up an identity for this peer and store it in its
routing table.

However, for peers that *do* explicitly specify their own identity (as I
am doing), then this identity information is delivered immediately after
the connection is established, allowing routing to the peer even if the
peer has not sent a message yet.

I should have been more clear in my original message. The B program is
explicitly specifying a random UUID as the identity of its socket before
binding.