[zeromq-dev] Proxy with inproc frontend

Brandon Carpenter brandon.carpenter at pnnl.gov
Mon Feb 3 17:42:14 CET 2014

Cosmo,

I didn't quite follow the entire description in your post, but the first
couple of sentences sound like something I am doing.

> I have a scenario where I want multiple simultaneous event handlers to
> publish ZMQ messages on one PUB socket. To do so, I used the following
> design:

In that case, I bind two sockets: PULL for incoming messages and PUB for
outgoing messages. Then the two are plugged together using a proxy.
Publishers connect to the PULL socket using a PUSH socket; messages get
passed on to the PUB socket; and subscribers, who connect to the PUB
socket using a SUB socket, receive messages matching their
subscriptions. Subscribers still suffer from the slow joiner issue, but
published messages will not be dropped from the perspective of the PUB
socket.The above produces a single message bus which allows multiple,
concurrent publishers and subscribers.

Hope this helps,

Brandon