[zeromq-dev] ZeroMQ for data transfer (large messages)

Aram Santogidis aram.santogidis at cern.ch
Fri Aug 29 16:00:07 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I'm experimenting with ZeroMQ and NanoMSG and I would like to ask your input on the following topic.

I encountered various performance evaluation data for 0MQ and other message-oriented middleware, and I noticed that the throughput sections focus quite frequently in the range of at most tens of KiloBytes of message sizes. Why is that? This range of message sizes is typical for applications based on message-oriented middleware? Maybe it is assumed that for large volume data transfers (in the order of hundreds  of megabytes), other (non-MOM) mechanisms should be employed?

It happens to be that I am interested to move data (as single messages) in the order of tens (or hundreds) of megabytes. One question is if ZeroMQ (and NanoMSG) was meant to be used for this kind of workloads. I know that it is possible (I've also seen the performance reports published at the site for up to 512 MB message sizes) but is it natural? By "it was meant to be used for this kind of workloads" I mean weather performance optimization(besides zero-copy) are focused for this kind of range of messages [10MB-1GB] as well.

I would appreciate your opinion on this topic.

Thank you,
Aram