[zeromq-dev] ZAP field (was: Re: ZMTP 1.0 clarification)

Merijn Verstraaten merijn at inconsistent.nl
Sun Aug 17 22:22:41 CEST 2014

Hi Pieter,

On 17 Aug 2014, at 05:26 , Pieter Hintjens <ph at imatix.com> wrote:
> I'm going to answer these questions randomly and will probably miss some.
>
> - http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5234.txt defines VCHAR and such
> - all string literals are case sensitive; so "ERROR" does not match "Error"
> - larger numeric values are meant to fit into int32_t and int64_t,
> however there is no significance to negative values as these represent
> sizes. I could clarify that these are unsigned.

Right, so the binary format is uint32_t/uint64_t, but with the restriction that the maximum value they should contain is INT32_MAX/INT64_MAX.

And a, hopefully, last one: The ZAP RFC specifies that an authentication request contains an identity field, which holds: “The identity, the identity of the originating ZeroMQ socket.”, from the protocol structure I’m guessing that the “originating socket” is the “local” one, that is:

If node A uses a socket with identity Foo to connect to a (server) socket with identity Bar on node B, then the auth request is handled on node B by sending a request with the identity “Bar” to the auth socket, yes?

Similarly, the auth response contains a user id, but I don’t see mention of it’s use anywhere?

Cheers,
Merijn