[zeromq-dev] zeromq, abort(), and high reliability environments

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Thu Aug 14 17:13:42 CEST 2014

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 2:17 PM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com> wrote:

> Remeber that this design decision was done in the end of 2009 as part
> of the migration from AMQP-syle API to POSIX socket API. If POSIX API
> was not adopted back then, 0mq would be nothing but a dim memory today
> and there would be nothing to discuss now. Shrug.

This is true. I was rude, and apologize for bringing C++ into this,
and disparaging your design skills. The void * type fit roughly into
the "file handles are magic integers" model, and let us bootstrap 0MQ
with its original POSIX-style API, which was indeed a selling point
early on. I believe we've learned that doesn't fit well.

We can of course add a zsock_t API into libzmq at any point though
arguably that is what CZMQ has become.