[zeromq-dev] ZeroMQ WebSocket Transport: authentication

Michael Haberler mail17 at mah.priv.at
Wed Aug 13 12:52:35 CEST 2014

while designing the ZWS frame-level protocol, authentication came up

since the proxy will eventually connect to a zeromq socket, it is open to me how this will fit in with authenticated zeroMQ sockets, and what kind of interaction needs to be  brought forward to the ZWS websocket to cover this scenario

first guess - if we can map the woodhouse, stonehouse and ironhouse patterns to ZWS that'd be great; strawhouse doesnt apply at the end-to-end level but rather the proxy-to-end level and hence not part of the ZWS protocol

for confidentiality I guess wss (websockets over TLS) is good enough, but for authentication I think hop-by-hop isnt

any suggestions how to go forward on this?

- Michael

see also: https://github.com/zeromq/JSMQ/issues/3