[zeromq-dev] zeromq, abort(), and high reliability environments

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Tue Aug 12 18:40:24 CEST 2014

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 3:14 AM, Michel Pelletier
<pelletier.michel at gmail.com> wrote:

> That possibility always exists and their sense of comfort is an
> illusion whether you use 0mq or not.  There are many internal and
> external reasons for systems to fail.  0mq aborting may actually be
> one of the least probable terminal events to occur in your
> application.

As a worked case I'll point to CZMQ, which is absolutely stuffed with
asserts. Yet it's very reliable. In fact there's no contradiction
here. You misuse the contract, it kills you. Thus, CZMQ apps are
trained to behave better.

Perhaps for language bindings, returning EINVAL is an option when
passing garbage arguments. Yet I'll repeat my assertion that if an
application or binding is incompetent enough to pass garbage
arguments, then it cannot be competent enough to check errors
properly.