[zeromq-dev] ZeroMQ WebSocket Transport

Doron Somech somdoron at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 13:58:46 CEST 2014

Hi All,

In last two month I have been working on WebSocket support for ZeroMQ and
NetMQ.

I was having some conversions regarding the subject and with Pieter
suggestion I'm making it a public conversation, following is a summary:

ZWS is a ZeroMQ over WebSockets, the protocol is raw and subject to
changes. After some discussion with Michael Haberler we agreed that having
a binary protocol is better (currently the protocol support text messages
only), however the RFC is not yet updated. You can read the rfc at
http://rfc.zeromq.org/spec:39

JSMQ is javascript client that implement ZWS (JSMQ is currently not up to
date with ZWS) - you can read more here: https://github.com/zeromq/JSMQ

Currently the only server side component that can talk to JSMQ is NetMQ
based bridge https://github.com/somdoron/NetMQ.WebSockets.

While it best to have it as transport inside ZeroMQ, pluggable transport is
not yet ready so the plan is to have a CZMQ bridge (something like curvezmq
server class
<https://github.com/zeromq/libcurve/blob/master/include/curve_server.h>)
that will implement ZWS.

Michael Haberler actually implemented ZWS as part of machinekit project,
you can take a look here:
https://github.com/mhaberler/machinekit/commits/jsmq-framing

Contributing: JSMQ is running on the zeromq organization on github and we
will use C4.1 process and we need contributors and maintainers.
Also help is needed with the CZMQ bridge.

Regards,

Doron