[zeromq-dev] zeromq, abort(), and high reliability environments

Dylan Cali calid1984 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 02:15:34 CEST 2014

> Must not throw an assertion there. An exception in the highlevel
> bindings (if the language has any) could be ok. That's a matter of
> taste and language style.

The problem with assertions/aborts from a user's perspective is that
they cannot be caught like a 'real' Exception.  So, even with the jzmq
bindings there are some situations (e.g. out of file descriptors)
where libzmq will abort and take an entire Java application with it,
giving it no chance for cleanup/recovery.

My users say they don't feel comfortable using zeromq (or a client
library that uses zeromq), in a high reliability application because
of the possibility it will abort.