[zeromq-dev] question about zbeacon

Benoit Chesneau bchesneau at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 14:20:52 CEST 2014

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Pieter Hintjens <ph at imatix.com> wrote:

> The original use case for Zyre (and hence zbeacon) was WiFi
> clustering. However it's evolved to choosing a "best" interface
> including LAN. There is little point in broadcasting on multiple
> interfaces, as you cannot create a connected cluster except on a
> single infrastructure. zbeacon allows the interface to be set by force
> if needed.

just implemented that in rbeacon 0.3.0. Thanks for the usefull information
:)

> Multicast is neat (and we used to work with that) except for some
> issues with Android, perhaps now resolved. I'd like to switch zbeacon
> to multicast or at least support that as an option. It's also
> necessary for IPv6 work.

I will add it on the next version. Probably this week-end. Ipv6 is needed
in some networks I will have to use it. Since my goal is tu also use it
with zbeacon on other nodes i will have a look.

> It's very nice to see a parallel implementation in Erlang and perhaps
> we can codify the discovery protocols separately from ZRE, which
> they're now embedded in.

That would be really useful! I'm implementing ezyre right now which is a
port of zyre on Erlang anyway. Should be done later  today :)

- benoit