[zeromq-dev] question about zbeacon

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Thu Aug 7 10:57:23 CEST 2014

The original use case for Zyre (and hence zbeacon) was WiFi
clustering. However it's evolved to choosing a "best" interface
including LAN. There is little point in broadcasting on multiple
interfaces, as you cannot create a connected cluster except on a
single infrastructure. zbeacon allows the interface to be set by force
if needed.

Multicast is neat (and we used to work with that) except for some
issues with Android, perhaps now resolved. I'd like to switch zbeacon
to multicast or at least support that as an option. It's also
necessary for IPv6 work.

It's very nice to see a parallel implementation in Erlang and perhaps
we can codify the discovery protocols separately from ZRE, which
they're now embedded in.

-Pieter