[zeromq-dev] FileMQ Manual Send/Recv + Symbolic Link

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Mon Sep 30 11:45:51 CEST 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 11:24 AM, HG Choi <c.hogyun at gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess bottom line, I want to work around the directory staging in FileMQ.
> The "Drag and Drop", implementation is very well done and easy to use, but
> in the edge case where a previously sent file in the send directory is just
> replaced, not deleted and written over/appended, by a newer edition but with
> the same file name, the server will not recognize this.

Are you replacing an old file with a new one with different size and
modified date? It should detect that. I'll test it.

> That is why I would like the option of being able to manually send and
> receive files located in path "/X" by method calls, completely autonomous
> from the current patch system and I think the mounting system..

Right, symbolic links were meant to handle this. I see that I've
completely dropped that functionality by mistake, when replacing
fmq_file with zfile. I'll add that back into zfile.

Using symbolic links, you create a link file in a staging directory
(in the FileMQ tree), and that is then resolved to the full file,
which is sent and arrives in the same staging directory on clients.