[zeromq-dev] Does ZMQ_STREAM sockets buffer the whole request?

Sébastien Pierre sebastien.pierre at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 19:41:28 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I'm new to ZMQ and wrote a quick and dirty HTTP server using the recently
released ZMQ_STREAM socket type. I was wondering (before spending too much
time on it) if this type of socket buffers the client's request before
sending it to the server (in the zmq_rcv).

I'm thinking of the particular use case where a web browser is uploading a
large file (say a 100Mb video). I've read here and there in the ZMQ guide
that messages have to fit in the whole memory... is this the case with
ZMQ_STREAM as well? I assume that it's not the case and that we would
receive a series of messages instead of a 100Mb+ message, but I just wanted
to hear that from the horse's mouth ;)

Thanks,

-- Sébastien