[zeromq-dev] ZRE/Zbeacon improvement proposal

Arnaud Loonstra arnaud at sphaero.org
Sun Oct 27 13:07:12 CET 2013

On 10/27/2013 12:17 PM, Pieter Hintjens wrote:
> The spec is here: http://rfc.zeromq.org/spec:20 and it's marked as
> draft, so we can still change it.
>
> We work with pull requests on a GitHub repo: https://github.com/zeromq/rfc
>
> Any change should be backed by a real problem and be minimal and
> backwards compatible.
>
> When it comes to software, a proof of concept in any language is fine.
> My own work goes into CZMQ (zbeacon) where we also work with pull
> requests. The full ZRE protocol is implemented partly by zbeacon,
> partly by Zyre (libzre, another project).
>
> It could be fun in your case to consider a Python binding for libzre.
>
> -Pieter

I definitely wanted to create a libzre binding but I have to get my
hands dirty on python C bindings. I'm not sure yet of what way to go as
there are multiple ways of doing it. SWIG/Boost/Cython/... I was trying
Boost but then I started to read about the Bjam system and I just
recreated zbeacon in native python. Which was also good to understand
the programming approach in librzre. Any recommendations?

Btw, libzre is the Zyre project right?

Btw I have the whole Zyre code ported to native python with PyZMQ,
without fmq and the log extension. It's just not completely functional yet.

Rg,

Arnaud

--
w: http://www.sphaero.org