[zeromq-dev] Installing Zeromq on Mac OS

Bruno D. Rodrigues bruno.rodrigues at litux.org
Sun Oct 27 11:48:04 CET 2013

It’s quite simple, it’s just sad that there is no links to the right places on the documentation.

About the Mac version, I only had issues with my Mac Mini running 10.6 because there is no Oracle Java 7 nor 6, and the Mac java 6 crashed. On the other hand I can’t recall anymore if it crashed when I tried zeromq or something else. Anyway, with 10.7, 8 and 9 all are ok.

1. install latest pkgconfig, autoconf, automake and libtool on /usr/local/lib, it’s safe to get them.

PKGCONFIG=0.28
AUTOCONF=2.69
AUTOMAKE=1.14
LIBTOOL=2.4.2

    curl -O "http://pkgconfig.freedesktop.org/releases/pkg-config-${PKGCONFIG}.tar.gz"
    curl -O "http://mirrors.nfsi.pt/gnu/autoconf/autoconf-"${AUTOCONF}".tar.gz"
    curl -O "http://mirrors.nfsi.pt/gnu/automake/automake-"${AUTOMAKE}".tar.gz"
    curl -O "http://mirrors.fe.up.pt/pub/gnu/libtool/libtool-"${LIBTOOL}".tar.gz"

2. compile them at the order above. for pkgconfig run ./configure --with-internal-glib, for the others just ./configure, then the typical make && make install

3. zeromq I think it compiles out of the box. If you need compile an old version like 2.1.7 for storm, there is also notes on jira and I have them

4. for jzmq this may help if you get a missing jni_md.h:
sudo ln -fs $(/usr/libexec/java_home)/include/darwin/jni_md.h $(/usr/libexec/java_home)/include

5. if you’re getting missing JAVA_HOME, run:
JAVA_HOME=$(/usr/libexec/java_home) ./configure

6. again if for some reason it’s an older version like the one for storm, there is an additional step.

Try this and if give me the concrete error if you want.

PS: I’ve moved from Linux to Mac to avoid the mess of dependencies. Hence why on the mac I avoid any darwinports or homebrew or any similar thing. Either the stuff that matters compiles with a configure&&make&&make install, or I try to help fixing it, or it’s not worth for me ;)