[zeromq-dev] Installing Zeromq on Mac OS

Artem Vysochyn artem.vysochyn at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 10:03:23 CET 2013

hi,

Recently the collegue from SFO asked me exactly the same question as
you.  Here's your steps.

1. You need 10.9. Since MacBook I tested on was on Maverick. Nobody
had 10.8.5 in office, sorry.
2. Get homebrew. This is package installer for OSX. Install it:   ruby
-e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.github.com/mxcl/homebrew/go)"
3. Get pkg-config, autoconf, automake. Install them using homebrew.
For example:  brew install pkg-config
4. Get zmq-3.2.4 (4.0.1 is too fresh so far).  Build it following
steps on wiki for UNIX-like systems.
5. Get JNI java binding: jzmq. Again, follow steps on wiki for
UNIX-like platforms.
6. Finally, locate libzmq and libjzmq libraries, and setup
java.library.path. (I usually omit this step because adding libs in
$PATH works as well).
7. jzmq comes bundled with pom.xml, which is nice. Help yourself.