[zeromq-dev] ZRE/Zbeacon improvement proposal

Arnaud Loonsrta arnaud at sphaero.org
Sat Oct 26 15:59:19 CEST 2013

On 2013-10-26 12:31, Bjorn Reese wrote:
> On 10/26/2013 10:53 AM, Arnaud Loonstra wrote:
>
>> * A node shall send a beacon with a state value of EXIT(2) just
>> before
>> it shuts down
>
> What happens when a node disappears (due to a crash, sudden lack of
> network connectivity, etc.) without sending the exit state?

It would be the same as is happening now. Which is fine but I'd rather
have a system which at least tries to prevent this. I know it's not a
reliable option especially under network stress but it's just a single
packet which could prevent a lot of other packets.

It could be done as well using unicast methods within ZRE but it's much
more work to send a packet to all nodes. A single broadcast/multicast is
cheaper and if it doesn't work there is still the timeout method.

>> - For passing multiple network segments multicast is often not
>> possible.
>> Crossing internet using multicast is nowhere available, to my
>> knowledge.
>> In order to overcome this I think the only solution would be to use
>> DNS.
>
> Sound like you are about to reinvent ZeroConf (or a variation
> thereof.)

Could be but it is not my intention.

Arnaud