[zeromq-dev] ZeroMQ/NetMQ: identity in PUB/SUB sockets

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Thu Oct 24 20:45:59 CEST 2013

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Giacomo Tesio <giacomo at tesio.it> wrote:

> However here
> http://lists.zeromq.org/pipermail/zeromq-dev/2011-April/010354.html it was
> suggested to remove this feature for PUB/SUB in 3.0.
>
> Was it removed?

We removed it in 3.x as part of some major cleanups. Identities in
pub/sub allowed a subscriber to keep messages on the publisher even
when disconnecting. This was useful but also problematic as it caused
memory leaks for publishers. The abstraction wasn't clean as there
would still be message loss in cases.

So 3.x removed durable sockets. I think the consensus was that this
was a good simplification.

Identities are now used only when talking to ROUTER sockets.