[zeromq-dev] zmq_poll stops expiring timeout in virtualized Windows 7

Felipe Farinon felipe.farinon at powersyslab.com
Tue Oct 15 19:48:12 CEST 2013

I´ve built an application that is running on a Windows 7 inside a
VirtualBox, with zeromq 3.2.2.

== The problem ==
When running one test, I noticed that my application called zmq_poll
with timeout of 2000 but it at one day stopped expiring the timeout.
Similarly, a client application that connected to it and had a loop that
used QueryPerformanceCounter for timeout, suddenly froze and stopped
firing the timeout. After doing some research, I have found that
VirtualBox's QueryPerformanceCounter doesn't guarantee monotonicity
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/11951. They argue that even Windows
QueryPerformanceCounter doesn't guarantee it.

Then I have found that zmq_poll calls clock_t::now_ms which in turn
calls clock_t::now_us which uses QueryPerformanceCounter.

== My proposal ==
We could add a zeromq define that makes zmq_poll use a low precision
timer, such as GetTickCount64 which has less bugs.