[zeromq-dev] concurrent test design - need advices

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Thu Oct 10 18:49:48 CEST 2013

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 6:38 PM, Laurent Alebarde <l.alebarde at free.fr> wrote:

> In order to avoid sending a burst of say 100,000 messages, I need a
> "precise" synchronisation. Thus something close to the kernel looks like a
> good choice. As I want the test to be portable, zmutex has looked a good
> candidate for synchronizing the bursts. You know, it is just for testing,
> not a library functionality.
>
> I don't know if I can reach a sufficient time resolution with PUB/SUB, but I
> am going to try.

pub-sub over inproc: will probably give you as good resolution as you
need (and note the general rule about not optimizing a case you
haven't even tested yet). If you're doing 100,000 encrypted messages,
you're not worried about microsecond synchronization.

As usual, just make a plausible solution and improve it gradually as
you find issues to fix. There's little point in (and indeed, some
strong arguments against) trying to make it perfect from the start.

I'm curious to see what you're cooking... :-)