[zeromq-dev] concurrent test design - need advices

Laurent Alebarde l.alebarde at free.fr
Thu Oct 10 17:55:03 CEST 2013

Hi Devs,

I would like to add a concurrent test to libzmq.

Objective : test multi-thread clients concurrent messaging send/receive
from the same server.

Design : use a mutex to synchronize every round of bursts. Each burst is
a TBD number of messages. One burst of send, one of receive, all of it a
few times. It will work as bounce i.e. the test program can use it with
any type of socket.

Questions :

 1. Is zmutex a good solution to synchronize the threads ?
 2. The doc shows an example of zmutex in the same function. How do I
    use it in a multithread environment, shall I pass the mutex to the
    threads as an argument ?
 3. If say the resolution is 1ms, how many 32 bytes messages shall I
    send in each burst to obtain concurrency for sure ?
 4. How many clients do you advise ?

Cheers,

Laurent.