[zeromq-dev] Certificate formats

Tony Arcieri bascule at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 17:42:20 CEST 2013

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 7:05 AM, Pieter Hintjens <ph at imatix.com> wrote:

> That is, creating, storing, and exchanging CURVE certificates, no more or
> less. By discussing stuff that we don't yet need to solve, we're not
> talking about immediate problems. Perhaps they're too banal, or obvious,
> but I'd rather not make assumptions.

Are you just ignoring the key distribution problem for now then?

> Can you comment on public keys + metadata? Encrypted or not? Safe to paste
> into email?

Certificates are only safe to transfer via an unauthenticated channel if
they contain their own authentication mechanism. There's no secure channel
without a previous secure channel. Other than that there's typically no
need to encrypt them unless you want to keep the metadata confidential in
flight.

--
Tony Arcieri