[zeromq-dev] czmq/zbeacon - broadcast address doesn't match selected interface

Shane Hubred shane at hubred.us
Wed Oct 9 17:54:51 CEST 2013

I recently started using zbeacon in 3.2.4 which does not have the
zsys_set_interface function so I added a patch as well. Here's what I
discovered running on Ubuntu:

The 2nd to last line at the end of s_get_interface() cause the chosen
interface to not be chosen (i.e., the broadcast was sent on another
interface):

    self->broadcast.sin_addr.s_addr = INADDR_BROADCAST;

Commenting it out made it work (self->broadcast is set above to
interface->ifa_broadaddr) on Ubuntu 12.04. Strangely on Ubuntu 11.10 Server
interface->ifa_broadaddr returns the same thing as interface->ifa_addr even
though the IFF_BROADCAST flag is set in interface->ifa_flags. I put in a
workaround for that using interface->ifa_netmask.

Also, the following line (547 on master) doesn't look right:

                if (streq (interface->ifa_name, zsys_interface ())
                ||  s_wireless_nic (interface->ifa_name))
                    break;

Looks like it will select the wireless interface if encountered before the
set interface is encountered.