[zeromq-dev] zeromq 3.2.4 pub sub using epgm can take a long time to receive first message

Shan Wang Shan.Wang at ig.com
Tue Oct 8 19:39:31 CEST 2013

I'm using pub sub with epgm, the multicast address is like this: epgm://239.192.1.1:50003.

I only have one publisher and one subscriber, they run on two different hosts within the same LAN. The publisher sends a short message (tens of bytes) every 100ms, so it definitely hasn't reached the multicast rate.

Sometimes it can take a long time, I mean > 1 second, for the subscriber to receive messages. It seems random, sometimes the first message is received 200ms after socket is initialized, the worst case it can take 3 seconds to see the first message.

When the same code using tcp the connection time is always very short.

So is this initial delay normal? What could have caused it?

Ps. I tried to change the order of PUB/SUB socket initialization, it doesn't make any difference for me.

Ps2. I'm using zeromq 3.2.4

The information contained in this email is strictly confidential and for the use of the addressee only, unless otherwise indicated. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose to others this message or any attachment. Please also notify the sender by replying to this email or by telephone (+44(020 7896 0011) and then delete the email and any copies of it. Opinions, conclusion (etc) that do not relate to the official business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it. IG is a trading name of IG Markets Limited (a company registered in England and Wales, company number 04008957) and IG Index Limited (a company registered in England and Wales, company number 01190902). Registered address at Cannon Bridge House, 25 Dowgate Hill, London EC4R 2YA. Both IG Markets Limited (register number 195355) and IG Index Limited (register number 114059) are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.