[zeromq-dev] Announce: Stable ZeroMQ release 4.0.1 - library SONAME

Jose Pedro Oliveira jpo at di.uminho.pt
Tue Oct 8 19:07:41 CEST 2013

On 2013/10/08 17:28 , Pieter Hintjens wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 6:18 PM, Jose Pedro Oliveira <jpo at di.uminho.pt> wrote:
>
>> And what happens if I have an application that uses the v4 new features
>>    and I copy it to a system where there is only ZeroMQ v3 installed?
> Well, it won't work, for sure.
>
>> Note that ldd only reports the requirements based on the major number
>> (and yum/rpm also have a similar behaviour):
> That seems unfortunate and contradictory to the libtool rules. I'm
> sure there's a rationale but I don't know it.
>
> What is your suggestion? Afaics simply incrementing the major ABI
> number at every stable release is not feasible (4.1. 4.2, ...)

Suggestion: Bump only at the major stable releases (e.g. from v3 to v4).

Currently in Fedora/EPEL we are supporting parallel installation of
of ZeroMQ v2 (2.2.0) and ZeroMQ v3 (3.2.4) libraries; and
we are also interested in supporting the parallel installation
of the ZeroMQ v4 libraries.

Current package contents in Fedora:
----------
# rpm -ql zeromq
/usr/lib64/libzmq.so.1
/usr/lib64/libzmq.so.1.0.1
/usr/share/doc/zeromq-2.2.0
/usr/share/doc/zeromq-2.2.0/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/zeromq-2.2.0/COPYING
/usr/share/doc/zeromq-2.2.0/COPYING.LESSER
/usr/share/doc/zeromq-2.2.0/ChangeLog
/usr/share/doc/zeromq-2.2.0/NEWS
/usr/share/doc/zeromq-2.2.0/README

# rpm -ql zeromq3
/usr/lib64/libzmq.so.3
/usr/lib64/libzmq.so.3.0.0
/usr/share/doc/zeromq3-3.2.4
/usr/share/doc/zeromq3-3.2.4/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/zeromq3-3.2.4/COPYING
/usr/share/doc/zeromq3-3.2.4/COPYING.LESSER
/usr/share/doc/zeromq3-3.2.4/ChangeLog
/usr/share/doc/zeromq3-3.2.4/NEWS
/usr/share/doc/zeromq3-3.2.4/README

Note:
  * you can't parallel install the zeromq[n]-devel packages
    (will cause file conflicts; e.g. libzmq.so)

Regards,
jpo
--
Jose Pedro Oliveira