[zeromq-dev] ZRE/Zbeacon improvement proposal

Arnaud Loonstra arnaud at sphaero.org
Sat Nov 30 17:26:13 CET 2013

On 10/27/2013 09:05 AM, Pieter Hintjens wrote:
[snip]
> Yes, it's a natural pattern to say "bye bye" when leaving a room or
> ending a phone call, precisely to save the other person from wasting
> time wondering what happened. And the fallback is already there. So
> for leaving, it makes sense to broadcast a "bye bye" beacon. I was
> confused because you proposed five states to signal one thing, which
> seemed a lot.
>
> Given this use case, I'd modify the existing protocol in a compatible
> way. Right now we broadcast the port number to signal availability. it
> would be natural to broadcast a port number zero to signal
> unavailability.
>
> That's a safe change, minimal, and does what you need. Along with
> multicast as an option, and we make nice progress.

Hi all,

I just comitted sending port 0 on exit in the Python implementation of
Zyre. I'm not sure this is the right way to do it since it is
implemented mostly in zbeacon. Perhaps it would be better to implemented
using the api calls but when doing this through a destructor will
probably not work because of the asynchronous design?

The commit is very simple:

https://github.com/zeromq/pyre/commit/d6d83db38094e1a3dece663f5b1e8da36c604680

I've been testing it and it works very nice, on a reliable network
ofcourse ;) No more poking to dead nodes.

What do you think about how to implement this?

Rg,

Arnaud
--
w: http://www.sphaero.org