[zeromq-dev] RFC: zbeacon for dhcp-style discovery

Michael Haberler mail17 at mah.priv.at
Wed Nov 27 12:03:42 CET 2013

I consider using zbeacon for service discovery, but more in a DHCP-style way (I dont have the use case for permanently visible beacons since the information is used during startup/on demand only)

an application looking for services would broadcast (a) request(s) for the services needed, and entities with matching services would reply with an answer directed to the source IP address (i.e. non-broadcast); repeat until all needed services acquired.

IMV the only missing part in zbeacon to achieve this would be a directed counterpart of zbeacon_publish(), with a signature like so:

 void zbeacon_send (zbeacon_t *self,  char *ipaddress, byte *transmit, size_t size)

which would transmit a directed UDP reply once.

--

If there's interest in such a feature I'd add support for this in czmq and issue a PR

- Michael