[zeromq-dev] Bash Binding

Justin Cook jhcook at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 19:05:36 CET 2013

I don’t intend to ever use it myself, but there could be situations in very restricted environments where POSIX shell is all you have.

One thing to note is using Bashisms such as /dev/tcp. What one needs to think about is if you are in a Bash world, do you care about not having access to `nc`? /dev/tcp is only available to Bash. So, it very well maybe neat to confine yourself to Bash, but generally it is used on systems with access to other tools such as `nc`.

It should be use `nc` if it’s available, if not use /dev/tcp and if not on Bash bail or try something different. It’s really an academic exercise. But, an interesting one depending on who you are.

--
Justin Cook