[zeromq-dev] Client-side web applications with ZeroMQ

Michael Haberler mail17 at mah.priv.at
Thu Nov 21 10:30:48 CET 2013

Am 21.11.2013 um 06:57 schrieb Justin Karneges <justin at affinix.com>:

> There's NullMQ, although I'm not sure of its status:
> https://github.com/progrium/nullmq
>
> In my opinion, all a web application really needs is request/response
> and pubsub, and you already have request/response in the form of HTTP.
> So, the only thing missing is a one-way (server->client) publish
> mechanism, and there are a number of ways to do that (Socket.io rooms,
> Faye, Pushpin, etc).
>
> Chaining socket.io's rooms stuff to a zeromq XSUB socket might be a nice
> afternoon project for you. :)

the way I deal with a js web client + publish/subscribe is:

- provide a websocket server using the libev-based variant of libwebsockets https://github.com/andrew-canaday/libwebsockets
- published messages are auto-translated from protobuf to JSON with https://github.com/shramov/json2pb and pushed down the websocket stream
- incoming ws messages can be used to subscribe/unsubscribe as needed (XPUB+verbose set on publish socket, client messages are translated to subscribe/unsubscribe messages)

this is not as general as zerogw, but it is small, understandable and fits my bill

- Michael