[zeromq-dev] Can't get ZMQ_REQ_RELAXED to run

Björn Kuhlbrodt bjoern.kuhlbrodt at gpsolar.com
Tue Nov 19 14:49:38 CET 2013

Hi Pieter

Thanks for the swift answer. I was silent because I tried to condense something meaningful, but it is not as easy.

The minimal version (based on test_req_relaxed.cpp) works fine. Only in the application the send command does not work. The application is a bit more complex:

I have two distinct parts of the software
- a database connection done with 0MQ and its own zmq_ctx and
- a central machine interface (CMI) which talks to - well - machines. This CMI creates a _second_ zmq_ctx, simply because it is not trivial to hand the same context to both parts.

-> Could that matter?

The CMI object passes that second ctx to a few machine interfaces (also c++ objects) which have a sending and a receiving thread. Each thread takes the ctx and opens a socket.

The sending socket/thread fails 90% the times I start the application and sits in zmq::mailbox_t::recv (also see my mail to Christian), the other 10% it works fine. I don't remember having done something different in these cases. It also works 100% if I set ZMQ_REQ_RELAXED to OFF.

One thing I also noticed: It seems to work if each machine interface object creates its own zmq_ctx. But that's so opposed to what you write....

Best regards
Björn