[zeromq-dev] Can't get ZMQ_REQ_RELAXED to run

Björn Kuhlbrodt bjoern.kuhlbrodt at gpsolar.com
Mon Nov 18 09:09:13 CET 2013

Hello

I' trying to use the new (4.0.1) ZMQ_REQ_RELAXED in C++ with VS2010 (and the standard C-Binding from the 0MQ main site), but keep failing.

What I have:
One context with two ZMQ_REQ sockets in two different threads, one binds and answers to REQs, one connects and sends REQs. This runs fine and nice until one system crashes before answering a REQ - a known Problem of the REQ-REP.

What I tried:
I'm not too eager to kill the context to get the REQ-REP running again, because that would kill my other socket too. The new ZMQ_REQ_RELAXED came in very handy, just fit to solve the problem.

BUT:
Now the zmq_msg_send(...)-Method fails to return after a few packages (or even for the first packet) while the client is up and waiting for packages, yes even actively communicating with the server over the other socket. I tried ZMQ_REQ_CORRELATE on and off - doesn't make a change. Tried ZMQ_REQ_RELAXED off again - everything works (except in crash-case).

So my question:
Anyone here tried the ZMQ_REQ_RELAXED? Any idea? I'm willing to post code, but I'd need to extract the crucial parts, which could take a while.

Regards
Bjorn

Dr. Björn Kuhlbrodt
Senior Software Developer
GP Inspect GmbH

Tel: +49 89 750778 4729
Fax: +49 89 750778 4710
Mail: bjoern.kuhlbrodt at gpsolar.com

GP Inspect GmbH | Hainbuchenring 9-11 | 82061 Neuried | Deutschland
Geschäftsführer | Christian Probst, Dr. Eric Rüland, Enis Ersü, Martin Heinrich
Amtsgericht München | HRB 173887

A company of ISRA VISION Group

This e-mail may contain material that is confidential, privileged and for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, reliance or
distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender and delete all copies. GP Inspect GmbH, ISRA VISION AG, its branches and subsidiaries herewith exclude
any liability for third-party information recognizably contained in this email or its attachments. Third-party information does not
necessarily reflect the opinion of GP Inspect GmbH or ISRA VISION AG.