[zeromq-dev] zmqpp

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Sat Nov 16 10:37:18 CET 2013

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Laurent Alebarde <l.alebarde at free.fr> wrote:

> What I don't understand, since libzmq is developped under C++, just the API
> is C, is why these C++ bindings are bindings and not rewrites of zmq.h,
> zmq_utils.h, zmq.cpp, zmq_utils.cpp ? Which would be IMHO more consistent.

The C++ API in libzmq isn't documented nor exported, so you'd have to
write a separate low-level C++ API as part of libzmq. That is perhaps
a good idea. However it would have to be fully documented with the
core library.

One possible plan therefore is to:

- move the cppzmq header file _back_ into libzmq, and rewrite it to
use the internal C++ classes rather than zmq.cpp exports, and create a
proper C++ API for libzmq, that can be documented and maintained as
part of the product
- bring zmqpp into the zeromq organization and make that the
"official" C++ binding, perhaps renaming it to cppzmq for consistency
with other high level bindings.