[zeromq-dev] Any way to make inproc type-safe?

Lindley French lindleyf at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 13:15:35 CET 2013

> > blobs. This is probably not true; it appears you can just pass a pointer
> > to an object. So long as there's no memcpy() of any kind happening under
> > the hood (which is torture on some C++ objects), it's probably "fine".
> > However, it still throws away type information, which is undesirable.
>
> Another issue is object ownership -- who controls the life-time of the
> object. In other words, when is it safe to deallocate the object? Keep
> in mind, that ZeroMQ may drop messages if the high water mark is set.

I agree this is an important concern. With a type-safe signals and slots
library, you can just use a shared_ptr to take care of that. When you can't
rely on type safety, you have to be a bit more clever. Probably you'd have
to use placement new to construct a copy of the shared_ptr in the zeromq
message, then placement delete on the other side to get rid of it after the
receive occurs. That's the simplest way I can see to manage the reference
count correctly.