[zeromq-dev] Any way to make inproc type-safe?

Daniel Krikun dkrikun0 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 08:26:55 CET 2013

ZeroMQ knows to transport just binary blobs, which helps keeping things
simple and interoperable.
As you say, it is indeed possible to send a zmq message which payload is an
address in the memory (absolutely fine as long as it is in a single address
space, i.e single process).
However, in general case, type in c++ is completely a compile-time entity,
and thus it can not be send in a zmq message.
You can use some runtime type representation, for example, std::type_info,
or design one of your own,  but you will have to add code to parse it and
create variables of a type corresponding to this runtime representation.