[zeromq-dev] Any way to make inproc type-safe?

Lindley French lindleyf at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 21:49:03 CET 2013

I'm investigating ZeroMQ for the first time, and I like the look of it
overall. (It makes me realize I reinvented a portion of it unnecessarily
about a year ago.)

I have some questions about the way inproc works. At first it looked great
to me----all the benefits of QT signals and slots (unlike most signal/slot
libraries, in QT slots can be defined to always run in a specified thread
regardless of where the signal happened), but with all the other ZeroMQ
patterns as well, not just pub/sub.

I do have one hesitation, though. At first, it seemed like it's requiring
you to serialize data unnecessarily since messages are just blobs. This is
probably not true; it appears you can just pass a pointer to an object. So
long as there's no memcpy() of any kind happening under the hood (which is
torture on some C++ objects), it's probably "fine". However, it still
throws away type information, which is undesirable.

Has there been any effort to design a wrapper on top of inproc zeromq to
make it type-safe?