[zeromq-dev] ZeroMQ 'make check' failure

Matt Connolly matt.connolly at me.com
Sun Nov 10 12:17:34 CET 2013

I had a little look into this and found that after about 2500 sockets, new sockets are created, but their mailbox’s signaller file descriptors are zero. errno at this point is EMFILE (too many open files).

This zero file descriptor causes the assert later when context terminate sends a stop message to that socket, the write to the signaller fails. The code in errno is 2 (ENOENT). There’s no error checking where the file descriptor is created. And even if there was, it’s in the signaller constructor where you don’t have a return value.

However, it looks like in signaler.cpp:485 that failed file descriptors are not actually set to zero, so zero could be a lucky uninitialised value, in contrast to the comment in signaler.hpp:62 that the file descriptors would be -1 if unavailable.

haha… setting them to -1 makes the socket create fail. Pull request on it’s way.

-Matt