[zeromq-dev] TIPC clustering protocol support in libzmq

Erik Hugne erik.hugne at ericsson.com
Tue Nov 5 12:52:26 CET 2013

On Tue, Nov 05, 2013 at 10:21:06AM +0100, Arnaud Loonstra wrote:
> Wow that's a great addition! I didn't know about TIPC yet. It has some
> characteristics like ZRE, it seems. Would it be an interesting transport
> for ZRE?

I've only read some brief info on ZRE, but i think adding a protocol hook for
TIPC in ZRE should'nt be too hard.

-Node discovery can use the topology server subscriptions for a reserved
 ZRE port name. When a new ZRE capable node enters the cluster, the subscription
 will fire (message received on subscription socket) and an event can be
 generated upwards to ZRE

-PING/PING-OK doesn't need to send any messages. It can just be mapped to a
 query to the topology database to check if the peer is alive.

-WHISPER command is simple unicast over a connection, no fuzz here

-SHOUT command can use TIPC's RDM/Multicast to send a message to a group

-JOIN/LEAVE commands can be used to set up dynamic multicast groups, and map
 these to a ascii name. I'm not sure exactly how this should be designed though,
 Need deeper knowledge of ZRE..

I don't have the time to experiment with this myself for now, but if someone is
interested in adding support for this, i'd be happy to assist. :)

//E